Should you wash flannel fabric before sewing?
Since most flannels are made of 100% cotton, the fabric is notorious for shrinking (a lot!) when washed, so if the item you plan to make will be machine-laundered, it is imperative you pre-shrink the cut yardage before you sew. Use hot settings with both the washer and dryer to maximize the shrinking process.
How do you wash flannel fabric?
Steps to Wash Flannel:
- Fill the washing machine with warm water. Do NOT wash flannel in hot water.
- Add the appropriate amount of a mild detergent.
- Wash the flannel on the permanent press or gentle cycle, depending on the item.
- Add a fabric softener to the rinse cycle.
- Flannel can be hung to dry or machine dried.
Do you have to wash fabric before sewing?
So my advice is yes, wash all of your fabrics, before cutting them up to sew with. Machine wash, hand wash, machine dry, hang dry……… whatever the washing instructions are for that particular fabric. The pile of fabrics shown above is all 100% cotton, and cotton is notorious for shrinking.
How do you wash fabric before sewing?
How to keep fabric from fraying when pre-washing. –