How do you set the color in a tie dye shirt?
Once the fabric dye is added to the cotton shirt it’s best to set the color with vinegar.
- Fill a bucket halfway with white vinegar then add enough cool water to fill the bucket the remainder of the way, leaving a few inches at the top.
- Place your newly tie-dyed garment in the bucket.
How do you wash a tie dye shirt for the first time?
How to Wash a Tie-Dye Shirt for the First Time
- Rinse the shirt with cold water from a sink or hose.
- Fill a tub or basin with clean, warm water to set the remaining dye so that it will not bleed.
- Place the tie-dyed shirt into the tub or basin, and let it soak for 10 to 15 minutes undisturbed.
- Wash the shirt gently with your hands.
What do you do after you tie dye a shirt?
Taking Care of Newly Dyed Shirts
- Let The Dye Marinate — Don’t wash your shirt for at least 24 hours after dying it.
- Wash it On Its Own — When you’re ready to wash, put it in the washing machine by itself or with other tie-dyed shirts in similar colors.
- Dry on High Heat — Dry in your dryer on high heat.
How do you set dye in clothing?
Thoroughly clean a large mixing bowl or cleaning bucket, and then fill it with one gallon of fresh, clean water. Add one-fourth cup table salt and one cup vinegar. The vinegar and salt work together to naturally lock the color into the fabric.
Does vinegar make tie dye shirts bright?
Once you’re finished dyeing your fabric, set the color with a solution of water, white vinegar and salt. Wash your newly tie-dyed fabrics in separate load from your other laundry for the first wash or two. Finally, maintain the brightness of your dyed fabric by always washing it in cold water.
How do I keep my tie dye bright?
Soak the T-shirt in fiber-reactive dye. The longer you allow the T-shirt to soak in the dye, the brighter and more permanent the color will be. To achieve a variety of colors and patterns, alternate soaking the shirt in different colors.