How do you deep clean a large area rug?
- Remove loose dirt with a vacuum.
- Test the cleaner on your rug for colorfastness.
- Work the cleaner into the rug and let it sit for several minutes.
- Hose off the rug.
- Use a squeegee to remove excess water.
- Allow both sides of the rug to dry out completely.
- Vacuum or brush the rug to loosen compacted fibers.
How do you clean a thick rug?
Steam-clean a shag rug once or twice a year, as it becomes soiled or when it is stained, using a steam-cleaning machine, hot tap water and a non-foaming carpet detergent after vacuuming the rug. Dry the rug by using a fan to blow air across it for a couple of hours.
Can you wash a rug in the washing machine?
If your rug is made of cotton or synthetic fibers, you can throw it in the washing machine along with bath towels. Wash in cold water on the gentle cycle, and don’t clean them too often: The rubber backing can’t withstand weekly trips to the laundry room.
How much does it cost to clean a 8×10 rug?
The most common way to charge for rug cleaning is by size. The average cleaning cost is $2-$7 per square foot, which means a standard 8’x10′ rug would cost $160-$560 to clean.