How do you clean throw rugs?
- Remove loose dirt with a vacuum.
- Test the cleaner on your rug for colorfastness.
- Work the cleaner into the rug and let it sit for several minutes.
- Hose off the rug.
- Use a squeegee to remove excess water.
- Allow both sides of the rug to dry out completely.
- Vacuum or brush the rug to loosen compacted fibers.
Is it OK to wash rugs in the washing machine?
Most rugs, including rubber-backed doormats and small cotton rugs, are machine washable. If they’re made of cotton or synthetic fibers, you can throw them in the wash with towels and wash them in cold water on a gentle cycle. Just be careful not to wash rugs with a rubber-back too often or they’ll tear.
How do you clean a large rubber backed rug?
Vacuum the rug with an upholstery or brush attachment to keep from sucking the rug up into the vacuum. Wash the rug in the washing machine with mild detergent once every month or two. Add a couple of dirty towels to balance the load. Use only cold water and set the machine for the gentle cycle.